Driving Routine - POM - Prepare Observe Move
This routine is used every time you pull away from a stopped position, this could be pulling away from the kerb, moving off at traffic lights, from stop signs, starting a manoeuvre, reversing etc...
Below is an example for pulling away from the kerb for a normal drive, change the routine accordingly for reversing or other exercises.
- Clutch down
- Select 1st Gear
- Set the gas
- Clutch up slowly to biting point
- Keep both feet steady
- Quickly and effectively
- Six points check (360° observation)
- Left blind spot
- Left door mirror
- Windscreen Centre mirror
- Right door mirror
- Right blind spot
- Signal only if necessary If the traffic is queuing and almost at a standstill then you may need to signal as a request to let you join the traffic. Signal to help out pedestrians.
- If for some reason you have to wait, you must do six point check again
- Release handbrake
- Clutch up slowly
- Increase gas slightly
- Steer to normal driving position
- Centre of lane
- Check centre and right mirror
- Increase gas
No delay between observing and moving
This routine (or any routine) is a guide only and is used to help learner drivers for remembering a safety procedure. You should always be prepared to alter the routine depending on circumstances.
Below is an image of pulling away from the kerb for a normal drive
Tags: Driving Routine - POM - Prepare Observe Move