Driving Lesson - Traffic Lights
- Red - STOP and wait at the stop line.
- Red and amber - STOP and wait.
- Green - GO if the way ahead is clear.
- Amber - STOP, unless...
- you've already crossed the stop line
- you're so close to it that pulling up might cause an accident.
Planning and Anticipation
- If they've been green for a long time – could go red
- If they're red just slowing down may prevent having to stop
- Behind single solid line
- No line – no lights
- Stop from gear you are in
- Do not change down through gears
- Handbrake, neutral
Advanced Stop Line
- For Cyclists
- Stop at first line
When to go
- Only when green light
- Only when safe (Green light does not always mean safe to go)
- Turning right
- Move forward to point of turn when lights go green (if safe)
- Turn when safe, even if lights change to red (You're past the line)
- Assists when going in a specific direction
- Check it is safe to go
- Some come on after green light (often right turn)
- Some come on before green light (often left turn)
- Some are on permanently
If Lights Fail
- Treat as unmarked crossing
- No priority
Tags: Driving Lesson - Traffic Lights